It’s Thursday, June 15, 2017. Welcome to your Morning Scoop of intriguing tales, fresh news and things that make you go “hmm.” Sign up to get the Scoop in your email inbox.
• The House was back at work this morning, a day after a man opened fire on Republican lawmakers practicing for a charity baseball game. And who was James T. Hodgkinson? Here are some answers from the Illinois town where the shooter lived.
• “Thoughts and prayers” are meaningless after a mass shooting, this columnist says. Instead, we need to do this.
Never miss a local story.
• Will the Fresno City Council approve a $200,000 legal defense fund for undocumented immigrants facing detention or deportation?
• The touching, tragic story of a 79-year-old man who tried to help an alleged drunken driver now charged with the man’s murder.
Watch This Video
• The real reason the circus went out of business: Who needs it when we have these clowns?
Good Stuff to Know
• The years since his loopy brush with fame have not been kind to Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker.
• How is it that Fresno can be in one of the nation’s biggest food-growing regions yet not be known as a top vegan city?
• “When can I drive with weed in my car?” Get the answers to this and another, um, burning questions about marijuana in California.
• Restaurants crave Fresno State’s luscious sweet corn as much as we do. Here’s what they make with it.
• Now that we officially have Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor, who ya got?
• Spider in the car! SPIDER IN THE CAR!
• He has a scholarship offer to play college football. And he’s 11. Hopefully he’ll delay his first kegger til age 13.