Good morning! It’s Friday, June 9, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
What You Need to Know
• Fresno’s national spelling champ is back home ... briefly. Ananya Vijay got a rousing welcome Thursday night at FYI. This morning, she’ll be feted at her elementary school. Then it’s off to LA to schmooze with Jimmy Kimmel.
Never miss a local story.
• Re the United Kingdom election: Welp.
• Re #ComeyDayAfter. Read this. And this:
• Oh, and California’s senators stood out at the Comey hearing, with one of them extracting the quote of the day. “Lordy”!
• A rebel flag is the flashpoint in the latest twist in the story about KKK and Confederate symbols in a Fresno middle school yearbook.
• Our Bill McEwen (as always) doesn’t mince words: Is convicted ex-cop Keith Foster delusional or just trying to avoid prison?
What You Want to Know
• He was declared too nice to be a police dog. And was rewarded with a life upgrade. More stories like this, please.
• Don’t do a single allegedly fun thing this weekend until you read Josh Tehee’s recommendations.
• Don’t call it a comeback because Def Leppard never went away, the (now-graying) hair band’s guitarist tells us. They play Monday at Save Mart Center.
• “She’s beautiful.” That’s what a store manager told 911 after finding a likely abandoned newborn in 100-degree Arizona heat.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• School’s (very nearly) out for summer, and not a moment too soon for this rowdy bunch.
• Young man: I joined the Marines and want to wear my dress blues at my high school graduation. High school: Nope.