Halfway there! It’s Wednesday, June 7, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
What You Need to Know
• A 21-year-old gang member is dead in an officer-involved shooting early this morning in central Fresno. Police said the man was heavily armed, had fired 75-100 rounds but didn’t appear to target anyone.
Never miss a local story.
• Fresno Philharmonic has a new maestro, and she’s got some big ideas.
• Allegations that the hiring at Fresno State of a Middle Eastern professor was derailed because of pressure by pro-Israeli faculty has become a controversy that stretches far beyond the campus.
• Prominent Fresno lawyer Tony Capozzi says he will sue Fresno County Sheriff’s Office for issuing a news release that said he was under investigation but didn’t explain why he was in trouble.
• Police investigators are piecing together what set off a gun battle in an east-central Fresno home that left three dead and one in a hospital.
What You Want to Know
• Here’s a wonderful story about twins graduating from Sunnyside High, and how one needed a green light from Valley Children’s Hospital to attend.
• A fond farewell to Jeffrey Aivazian, of The Meat Market fame, for making the world a bit tastier for carnivores everywhere.
• Fort Blossom Cafe is bringing a familiar name and a huge menu to north Fresno.
• All the cool people are hanging out on the Beehive pop-culture podcast. Here’s the latest edition (warning: contains Al Franken).
What You Don’t Want to Know
• Can’t say we agree with this peacock’s taste in booze. What a waste of alcohol.