Hi, all! It’s Tuesday, June 6, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“In this case, we regrettably failed the students in providing them the necessary guidance they needed along the way.”– Bob Nelson, Fresno Unified superintendent, after Ku Klux Klan and Confederate symbols were found in a Computech Middle School yearbook designed by students.
What You Need to Know
• A search is on for a man who fell into the Merced River from Yosemite National Park’s Mist Trail on Monday afternoon.
• What a strange set of events Monday night in Madera. An officer shot and wounded a man who police said had pulled a gun. But before that, the man was reported to be driving a truck while holding a knife to his throat. Chilling.
• Keith Foster has a new lawyer who will pilot the appeal process for the former Fresno deputy police chief and convicted drug dealer.
• With President Trump pumping the brakes on U.S. involvement in the Paris climate agreement, there’s a new guy driving America’s clean-energy bus. His name is Jerry Brown.
• Meanwhile, here’s the first criminal case in the Trump administration’s crackdown on leaks ... and it involves Russian meddling in the presidential election.
What You Want to Know
• The new Habit Burger Grill at Manchester Center is handing out free food today from “pre-selected menus.” That means you can be hungry but not picky.
• C’mon, people. The proper question is how much you should tip an UberEATS driver, not whether you should tip one.
• Forgive us, Ananya, for feeling a bit protective. You’ve shown since being crowned Our Most Awesome Speller that you can handle the sudden fame. But this racially twisted interview with CNN was just ... ugh.
• Video Scoop: LEGOS everywhere! Here's how a touring show feeds our brick-building jones.
• Actor Alan Cumming had a chimpanzee co-star in a 1997 movie. Now he’s asking a Missouri animal sanctuary to release his “Buddy” and other primates. PETA says the chimps are kept in “filthy, virtually barren enclosures.”
• Apple on Monday unveiled HomePod, a smart home speaker that will try to set itself apart from market leaders Amazon Echo and Google Home by pushing its connection to iTunes.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• How can burglars get a mention in Morning Scoop? Put on tactical gear and kick the front door while yelling that you’re federal agents. Yeah.. That’ll work every time.