Good morning! It’s Thursday, June 1, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“It makes me feel like I’m part of the good kids and not the bad kids.”– Armando Perez, 11, whose family’s low income qualifies him for free lunches at his Fresno school. Yet he helps raise funds for feed malnourished kids overseas.
What You Need to Know
• Guys, what part of “we closed this part of the Kings River because it’s crazy dangerous” did you fail to understand?
• Based on Google searches, what’s the word Californians have the most difficulty spelling? Hint: Pretty, pretty ...
• Here’s what the president is tweeting about. And Rep. Devin Nunes, our man from Tulare, appears to be driving the bus.
• Nunes II: An event Wednesday night called Women’s Huddle of Fresno featured a full-size cardboard image of the congressman. Nunes, who is said to have turned down invitations to the meeting, was referred to as “flat Devin.”
• Can the spell the word that means the synthesis in living organisms of more complex substances from simpler ones? A Fresno girl can, which is why she’s in today’s final of the National Spelling Bee.
What You Want to Know
• Well, what do you know? It turns out people aren’t stampeding to buy “gourmet,” wallet-depleting hamburgers. Unless those people are in Fresno.
• Where does a disoriented, 400-pound sea turtle go? Eventually, back to the ocean (she was nearly a mile inland), thanks to some good-hearted human helpers.
• There’s now a network and a kickoff time for Fresno State football’s season opener at perennial steamroller Alabama.
• A gentle reminder for those still going to tonight’s Chris Stapleton concert. Don’t. Because it’s not happening.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• TFW you use a cutting tool, perhaps a blowtorch, to break into an ATM and burn some of the money. Bad guys all the way around.
• Why fret about climate change? this congressman says. God will “take care of it.” Well, that’s a relief.