Hey, all! It’s Friday, May 26, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“I think the community would rather have him live in a permanent place.”– Curtis Sok, defense attorney for Jeffrey Snyder, a convicted sexual predator whose legal and practical effort to find a home dragged on Thursday.
What You Need to Know
Never miss a local story.
• Some Fresno City Council members want to change the rules that, in part, allowed former police official and convicted drug dealer Keith Foster to keep his $93,000 pension. But it’s unclear any changes can touch Foster’s money.
• The Juno spacecraft buzzed Jupiter’s poles and found cyclones hundreds of miles across. Thanks, NASA. Space is awesome.
• The Bee’s Marc Benjamin unpacks a wild chase of an armed-robbery suspect that ricocheted between Fresno and Madera counties.
• “It is simply just a harmless situation,” the president of Montenegro said after the U.S. president pushed him aside at the NATO summit. The America-first moment took its place among others from Donald Trump’s overseas trip.
What You Want to Know
• Fresno State sweet corn goes on sale in a week. Why don’t we just line up now?
• “We’re young at heart,” says Jordan Knight (age 47), a member of (Not Quite So) New Kids on the Block. Here’s why their nostalgia show (with Paula Abdul and Boyz II Men) is right on time.
• The internet is coming unglued (like that ever happens) over It’s-It ice cream sandwiches being available at Costco. Around here, though, it’s a bit more complicated.
• Speaking of lining up, California Adventures’ new Guardians of the Galaxy ride (a retrofitted Tower of Terror) had a star-dotted debut Thursday night.
• Our Josh Tehee rounds up fun stuff for you to do, ping-ponging from Piñata Fest to ukulele shredder Jake Shimabukuro to country hot ticket Chris Stapleton.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• A winning strategy: Grab a reporter by the neck and drive him into the ground (allegedly). Submerge for more than 24 hours until after you’re won a House seat. Then apologize.