Welcome back! It’s Thursday, May 25, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“It’s nice to know someone is here loving him.”– parent Ginger Early, referring of one of the volunteer cuddlers who take turns holding babies in the neonatal intensive care unit at Valley Children’s Hospital.
Never miss a local story.
What You Need to Know
• On the eve of a special election scrutinized by political junkies nationwide, the GOP candidate for a House seat from Montana is charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly body-slamming a reporter.
• Though Fresno’s former No. 2 cop is now a convicted drug dealer, Keith Foster will continue to draw a $93,000 annual pension. Columnist Bill McEwen says that’s very, very wrong.
• Two more locally owned stores are leaving Fig Garden Village shopping center. What. Is. Going. On?
• Fresno Unified officials try to explain why their campus internet blocks Huffington Post and Daily Kos while allowing Breitbart and Infowars.
• Police in Manchester investigating the horrific concert bombing are blaming U.S. officials for leaking details to the media. They are especially angered by a New York Times story that includes pictures of evidence.
• A Fresno hospital was one of two in California with a heart bypass surgery fatality rate worse than average, a report says.
What You Want to Know
• Is a nice beer buzz what we need to get through that superhero movie or rom-com flick you’re significant other dragged you to? We’re about to find out.
• Here’s what our crazy-big snowpack means for recreation on the Kings River on Memorial Day weekend and beyond: Nope.
• An old Tumblr meme and tongue-in-cheek movie pitch will become a real movie with real stars on Netflix. Hollywood, man.
• Leaked plot point from “Top Gun 2” script: Maverick and Iceman compare AARP benefits (actually, that won’t happen ... but the movie will.)
What You Don’t Want to Know
• Students in a Georgia classroom were told to delete phone videos of a fight between a teacher and teacher’s aide. We all know how that went over.