Good morning! It’s Wednesday, May 24, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“I was shocked, you know. I was surprised,” – Aaron Judge, the former Fresno State baseball standout and current New York Yankee rookie wunderkind. The Yankees created, just for him, a fan section behind right field called The Judge’s Chambers.
What You Need to Know
• UberEATS – a mash-up of the crowd-sourced passenger service and your neighborhood pizza delivery guy – is now served. And a bunch of Fresno-area restaurants and food trucks have come to the table.
• What’s next for Keith Foster, the former No. 2 man in the Fresno Police Department convicted Tuesday of drug trafficking? Sit tight; we won’t know until July at the earliest.
• The scrum over who will run the Hmong New Year Celebration at the Fresno Fairgrounds seems to have been resolved.
• The hiring of more police officers is a big part of the $1.1 billion spending plan Fresno Mayor Lee Brand announced Tuesday.
What You Want to Know
• Not sure what’s funnier about this video: The visual of a dog stealing a loaf of bread from a grocery store, or the cackling of the humans watching the footage.
• Are you willing to pay 8 bucks for an app that points you to wildflower outbreaks in Yosemite National Park? What if we told you the app doesn’t need an internet connection (which is quite cool because it’s Yosemite)?
• Castillo’s, a popular Mexican restaurant in the Tower District, has closed. The reason given by one of the owners makes you go “hmm.”
• From 2012 to 2015, Fresno had the worst park system among big cities in the U.S,, at least according to a non-profit that tracks such stuff. We’re now not-worst-but-still-bad. Progress.
• Here’s a crazy idea: Raise the minimum wage to $15 for everyone, everywhere. Wait. This guy says that’s not crazy at all.
• It shouldn’t pay to be a rude teenage poop-enheimer. But in the case of the “cash me ousside” girl from the Dr. Phil show, it most certainly does.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• We are strangely compelled to salute an airline passenger who was so belligerent they called in fighter jets to escort the plane. Awesome.