Greetings! It’s Tuesday, May 16, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox.
Word for Word
“It’s just time. It’s time to slow down and enjoy life.”– Larry Grossi, owner of Bear Creek Gifts, one of two longtime mom-and-pop stores that are closing their doors for good.
What You Need to Know
Never miss a local story.
• In a couple tweets this morning, President Trump said he had the “absolute right” to share information with two Russian leaders at a meeting last week. The Washington Post and other media reported Trump revealed sensitive details that “have been withheld from allies and tightly restricted even within the U.S. government.”
• Five dogs connected to the deaths of two men near Biola will be humanely destroyed. A lawsuit accuses the dogs’ owner of negligence.
• Congratulations to Clovis High student Graham Hauss, last night’s winner of the annual B’nai B’rith Student Athlete Award.
• It’s American Craft Beer Week. Here are places in town where you can mark the occasion properly.
• Are tacos tacos if they sport a hard shell? Purists (and you’ll find them by the bushel around here) say “no.”
What You Want to Know
• This ridiculously cute and precocious dog also is a first-rate drug-sniffer-outer for the Fresno Police Department:
• A bunch of poor souls were stuck on a stalled Amtrak train. Who can save them? That’s right: Jim the Amazing Pizza Delivery Guy.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• Caffeine horror story: Within two hours, he downed a large Diet Mountain Dew, a latte and an energy drink. He died. He was 16.
• Think it might be easy to steal one bicycle from the battalion of two-wheelers clustered around the Tour of California race? Think again.
• Pro tip: If you just got out of the Big House, don’t let the police catch you riding in an SUV that has, among its accessories, a loaded gun in a diaper bag.