Hey, all! It’s Wednesday, April 6, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox. It’s easy.
“This is absolutely a lethal condition. He cannot gain weight. I wish we could prosecute someone for this.” – Veterinarian Anna Boswell, referring to a 92-pound dog that normally should be about 40 pounds.
What You Need to Know
• How heartening to know that, at least in the early going, our California high-speed rail overlords could be British. Or Chinese. Or Italian. Or...
• Authorities may have figured out the identity of our mystery “mermaid” found wandering near Table Mountain casino.
• Anyone else find the phrase “nuclear option” more than a little over the top? (For context, see today’s Senate showdown over Supreme Court nominee Neil Gorsuch.) It’s like calling a diaper change a “toxic-waste operation.” Oh. Wait.
• Speaking of bullet train route construction, the Clinton Avenue bridge over Highway 99 closed Wednesday night, and will remain so for about six months. We can help you plan accordingly.
• Last night, Fresno State Athletic Director Jim Bartko spoke at a campus event about dealing with trauma from being molested by a priest as a child. We’ll have more in The Bee soon about Bartko’s journey since he first opened up about it in January.
• Relatives of a 4-year-old girl allegedly killed by her aunt are as thunderstruck as we are. “That’s everybody’s question – why?” one says.
What You Want to Know
• Sounds like the new Smurfs movie could be a fun trip to the theater for the under-6 crowds and a root canal for the over-6 people who accompany them.
• A woman walking on girders of a Placer County bridge fell and plunged 60 feet. Because she tried to take a selfie. Her body, if not her self-respect, is expected to survive.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• A former Central High football star goes to Oklahoma to play college ball. That doesn’t work out. Now he’s accused of being a pimp for a former cheerleader who’s a daughter of the cheer coach and Holy Sooner Schooner what the heck?
• Watch out, that diaper bag (yes, we see today’s theme) is loaded – with a .25-caliber semi-automatic pistol. And wipes.