Hey, now! It’s Monday, March 27, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox. It’s easy.
“The government should be run like a great American company.” – Jared Kushner, President Trump’s son-in-law and the leader of the White House’s new Office of American Innovation.
What You Need to Know
• Some magnificent scientists transformed spinach leaves into human heart tissue. It’s Popeye made real. You hear that, Bluto?
• Fresno State football coach Jeff Tedford sat down with The Bee for an interview that ranged from wins and losses to the players’ classwork.
• Empowerment flows through the photos and models for Target’s swimwear line. Look: no Photoshop.
• The emotional story of Matheny Tract, a fading social experiment in rural Tulare County. Why do its residents continue to hang on? One word: passion.
• Farmer and Bee columnist David Mas Masumoto talks about the emotional politics of who “belongs” in the United States.
• Curtain call, please. Your girls basketball state champs: Clovis West High.
What You Want to Know
• Move over, “CSI.” The mock-trial squads of Fresno State have made an argument for national exposure.
• This guy had the right idea: Why miss your celebration of life because of the whole being-deceased thing? Hold the party before you die.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• The driver hit a deer with her Subaru. She told the deputy she was distracted. By a sasquatch.
• Submitted through gritted teeth: Two teenagers shot a girl in the head because she wouldn’t stop sending them Snapchats.
• TFW you spend a year in remote wilderness being filmed for a reality show no one wanted to see. “What couldn’t I have been on ‘The Voice’”?