Good morning! It’s Thursday, March 23, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop of news and other stuff. Subscribe to add the Scoop to your email inbox. It’s easy.
“As a hardcore soccer fan, it was a lot of fun”– Analilia Ruvalcada, a longtime fan of Chivas de Guadalajara, which played a friendly against Monarcas Morelia before an announced crowd of more than 11,000 at Chukchansi Park.
Never miss a local story.
What You Need to Know
• Four Fresno doctors talked to us about how federal health care affects their practices, and what they think about efforts in Washington to replace Obamacare with a Republican-led plan. Their message to D.C.: Take the time to get it right.
• Congressman Devin Nunes, who has represented a huge swath of the Valley since 2003, pushes himself into the center of the Trump-Russia storm.
• Tweet of the day, from Oakland Raiders quarterback and former Fresno State star Derek Carr:
Dallas Carr, you’re 3 years old. Dad has an awesome job, but keep your options open, hoss.
• “FresYes” is a cringe-worthy retort to the “Fresno is a zit on California’s face” riff, but the festival that embraces the word is all kinds of awesome. Here’s what you need to know about this weekend’s downtown food/music/beer fling.
What You Want to Know
• The new Dick’s Sporting Goods store, at River Park, got a new Raider to drop by this weekend after another Raider scheduled to come became a Viking.
• Nancy Kerrigan is on the next “Dancing With the Stars.” Fellow ice skating star Kristi Yamaguchi gave her a thumbs-up, that, well ...
• A rare species of frog in the Santa Monica Mountains has finally learned that sex is a great way to hop-hop-hop back from near-extinction.
What You Don’t Want to Know
• A police officer billed his department for overtime pay. He was using the time to watch child porn. Please, please tell us his body cam was turned off.
• A young man in India is finding it tough to get a job. His name is Saddam Hussein.