Good morning! It’s Thursday, Feb. 2, 2017 and here’s the Morning Scoop, your quick peruse of the news. Subscribe to get the Scoop in your inbox.
“Most of the time, a church can’t show a faith-based movie until its been in theaters and on video. I'm doing things a little backward.” – Alan Autry, former Fresno mayor, on debuting his film, "Victory by Submission," with screenings before numerous congregations.
What You Need to Know
Never miss a local story.
• Wet weather returns: Showers and snow fell on the Valley and Sierra overnight. We should get a break during the day today, then a stronger wave is expected to arrive late tonight.
• The fatal shooting of 19-year-old Dylan Noble by two Fresno police officers was "not within policy" of the department, the city's independent police auditor reported. The police department faces two wrongful-death lawsuits from the June 2016 confrontation.
• A federal judge has allowed 28 Yemeni-born people – some with ties to Fresno – to fly into Los Angeles, opening a path through the Trump administration’s immigration travel ban.
• A protest at UC Berkeley of a scheduled appearance by a Breitbart News editor turned violent and destructive. The talk by Milo Yiannopolis was canceled. President Trump’s reaction tweet this morning contained a financial threat against the university:
• A McLane High School teacher was struck by a student, casting more doubt on the school’s restorative-justice discipline policy.
What You Want to Know
• Marek Warszawski gives us a backstage tour of how Fresno State football coach Jeff Tedford and his staff, with less than three months on the job, winnowed more than 100 names to 23 on national signing day.
• Punxsutawney Phil failed to see Bill Murray today. Oh, and the groundhog’s handlers passed along this weather prediction.
• #Baconshortage update: Turns out the national scare was overcooked. Or, as Kevin Bacon says:
• Take a look at your laundry room (it’s OK; we’ll wait). It needs a makeover, right? Absolutely. Here a smart, inexpensive way to do it.
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• No “g’day, mate,” here: President Trump’s phone conversation with Australia’s prime minister went south, with Trump cutting the call short. Here’s why.