Hey, all! It’s Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2017 and here’s your Morning Scoop. Subscribe to get the Scoop in your inbox because you want to be informed but not too informed.
“Health-care workers would spend less at local businesses, creating a ripple effect of job loss throughout all industries” – a report from the University of California that says the San Joaquin Valley could lose about 24,000 jobs if Obamacare is repealed.
What You Need to Know
Never miss a local story.
• The mother of a Fresno Unified student with special needs is suing the district because the child was tube-fed bleach at her school.
• Recreational marijuana is now legal in California. Tulare County’s Board of Supervisors on Tuesday voted to continue its ban of pot farms that would grow non-medical weed . Game on.
• A judge dismissed a criminal case against one of the Fresno Police Department’s harshest critics.
• Community leaders demanded that they have say in the choice of a new Fresno Unified School District superintendent. School board President Brooke Ashjian’s reply:
• The commutation of Chelsea Manning’s prison sentence marks an abrupt U-turn for President Obama, who led a long battle against government leaks.
• President Obama is trying to undermine the incoming Trump administration by “binding the president-elect hand and foot,” Russian President Vladimir Putin said.
What You Want to Know
• A rhinoceros at Fresno Chaffee Zoo is in a family way. What we wouldn’t give for a rhino registry at Buy Buy Baby.
• The Fresno Grizzlies take ownership of the taco emoji. They’ve adopted it, actually. Emojis can be slippery little characters.
• Fresno State’s men’s basketball team hosts Colorado State tonight while senior Cullen Russo continues to float in academic limbo.
• The Fresno Beehive’s first podcast has dropped. It’s worth a listen.
• With a great throwing arm comes a great Twitter account. Just ask quarterback Derek Carr and the Oakland Police Department.
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• Just what you need to go along with your McDonald’s coffee: 7-Eleven breakfast pizza.
• Some fans of Garth Brooks aren’t buying his reason for not playing at the Trump inauguration.
• Brain food is real. No no, food for the brain, not of it. Ew.