Hi. It’s Wednesday, Dec. 21, 2016 and I’m here with your helping of the Morning Scoop. Subscribe here to get the Scoop in your inbox because you want to be informed but not too informed.
What You Need to Know
• A huge, scary fireworks explosion in Mexico has claimed at least 29 lives.
Never miss a local story.
• Fire has damaged Livingstone’s restaurant in the Tower District, leaving a lot of people wanting to get away from their families this week with one less place to drink.
• Three people died in Antioch during a Thanksgiving dinner held at an events hall and it looks like undercooked food, or food that wasn’t held to the right temperature, was to blame.
• This study that says people tend to expect the worst when waiting for news as protection from an emotional cost seems obvious, no?
• Walmart, which was open on Thanksgiving for what used to be Black Friday, is trying to brag about being closed two hours earlier on Christmas Eve this year.
What You Want to Know
• Fresno can claim the largest Hmong New Year celebration in the U.S., and it’s happening next week. A smaller celebration will also be held starting tomorrow.
• Michelle Obama kept it cool and classy while speaking to Oprah Winfrey about the election, and I would expect nothing less from this remarkable woman.
• Wait, there’s no official name for Clovis residents? I lived there for 10 years. How do I not know the answer to this?
What You Wish You Didn’t Know
• A woman in the Bay Area was able to locate her missing husband’s body before police thanks to a smartphone app, which, although grisly, seems like the right use for that technology?
• How much do I love it when thieves are busted thanks to their dumb social media posts? So much.
• And finally, remember when R. Kelly met Aaliyah when she was 12 and then married her when she was 15? He’ll be singing songs in Fresno in February.
Halfway through a holiday week, people. You can do it. Have a good Wednesday.
Heather McLane: firstname.lastname@example.org, @heather_mclane