Election season came early at Fresno City Hall.
The seven City Council members on Thursday squared off in a battle to see who would produce the best Holiday Season display in their office area.
The idea: Get in the spirit, spend your own money, bake some goodies, invite your city colleagues, let the guests vote on No. 1.
And that’s how it turned out for 90 minutes this morning.
Never miss a local story.
A few quick thoughts from a City Hall reporter who, despite a serious sweet tooth, didn’t eat a thing (please take note, Executive Editor Boren):
* City Clerk Yvonne Spence will tally and certify the votes. No word yet on the winners.
* The ballot asks two questions. 1.) “Area that you feel has the best overall Holiday Decorations.” 2.) “Area that you feel has the most Holiday Spirit.”
* Council Districts 2 (Steve Brandau) and 6 (Lee Brand) joined forces. The Council Offices’ main reception area was in the game, too.
* There was no shortage of jokes about “stuffing the ballot box.”
* They didn’t overdo it in the food department — a sign of wise discretion by Fresno’s politicians. Not because of the calories. I’m thinking Louis XVI.
* I didn’t vote. However, it was impossible not to be impressed with the display of Council Member Sal Quintero (District 5). Pink flamingos, Elvis, Santa in a low-riding GTO, surfer music ... Sal had this and much more. He tied it all together with style and heart.
* Among those in attendance — Mayor Ashley Swearengin and Fresno Police Officers Association President Jacky Parks. It looked like they never crossed paths. Probably wise. We live in a world that still has limits to Peace On Earth.