A Fresno man was hospitalized Tuesday with extremely serious injuries resulting from an explosion caused by a honey oil extraction process at a central Fresno apartment, the Fresno Police Department said.
Fresno police Lt. Joe Gomez said that Erik Anthony Gregg, 30, was rushed to Community Regional Medical Center with burns over 60 percent of his body. He was allegedly using butane to convert marijuana into honey oil when the explosion occurred. His cat was also badly burned and transported to the Central California Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Gregg will likely face felony drug, arson and animal cruelty charges, Gomez said.
The explosion occurred about 2:45 p.m. at the unit on Ashlan Avenue just west of Millbrook Avenue, said spokesman Hector Vasquez. Damage to the unit was about $30,000.
Never miss a local story.
Vasquez said burns to the lungs in such a blast are among the most dangerous injuries. His advice to those contemplating making honey oil?
“Don’t do it.”