The Tulare County District Attorney's Office said today it will not charge the man accused of allowing an 11-year-old boy to drive a car that was involved in a collision in which three people died last month.
Froylan Gonzalez, 34, was booked Monday on suspicion of three counts of vehicular manslaughter and two counts of child endangerment after he was released from Community Regional Medical Center. California Highway Patrol investigators say Gonzalez let 11-year-old Jose Silva Covarrubias drive on the night of Jan. 11. Investigators say the boy ran a stop sign near Porterville, then was hit by a pickup truck.
The crash killed Jose, his sister, Elizabeth Silva Covarrubias, 6, and their mother, Maria Silva Covarrubias, 30. Gonzalez suffered major injuries.
Jose's aunt, Brenda Silva, said last month that the boy was probably getting a driving lesson from Gonzalez because there was "no other reason for him to be behind the wheel."
The District Attorney's Office sent the case back to the California Highway Patrol to continue the investigation.