TOP 20 TEAMS
1. Clovis (7-0) Next: vs. Buchanan (2-5), Friday
2. Bakersfield (7-0) Next: vs. Centennial (4-2), Friday
3. Edison (6-1) Next: at Sunnyside (6-1), Friday
Never miss a local story.
4. Bullard (5-2) Next: vs. Sanger (2-5), Thursday
5. Centennial (4-2) Next: at Bakersfield (7-0), Friday
6. Central (5-2) Next: vs. Clovis North (6-1), Friday
7. Tulare (7-0) Next: at Kennedy (0-7), Friday
8. Clovis North (6-1) Next: at Central (5-2), Friday
9. Washington (7-0) Next: vs. Liberty-MR (3-4), Friday
10. Sunnyside (6-1) Next: vs. Edison (6-1), Friday
11. Ridgeview (6-0) Next: vs. West (1-5), Friday
12. Frontier (3-3) Next: at Stockdale (0-7), Friday
13. Garces (6-1) Next: vs. Foothill (5-2), Friday
14. Porterville (6-1) Next: at Granite Hills (3-5), Friday
15. Clovis West (1-6) Next: vs. Clovis E. (1-6), Friday
16. Tehachapi (6-1) Next: vs. Bak. Christ. (4-2), Friday
17. Memorial (6-1) Next: vs. Madera (4-3), Friday
18. Dinuba (7-0) Next: vs. Fire.-Lynwood (3-5), Friday
19. Madera South (6-1) Next: vs. Hoover (2-5), Friday
20. Kingsburg (5-2) Next: at CVC (1-6), Friday
D-I 1. Clovis; 2. Bakersfield; 3. Edison
D-II 1. Clovis North; 2. Sunnyside; 3. Frontier
D-III 1. Ridgeview; 2. Porterville; 3. Dinuba
D-IV 1. Washington; 2. Wasco (7-0); 3. Mission Oak (6-1)
D-V1. Firebaugh (7-0); 2. Fowler (5-2); 3. Gran. Hills (3-5)
D-VI 1. Mendota (7-0); 2. Farmersville (5-2); 3. Strath. (6-1)
Transfer updates: Wide receiver/defensive back Johnny Johnson's request to play immediately at Central was denied by Central Section commissioner Jim Crichlow. Johnson, already offered a scholarship by Stanford as a junior, left Memorial two weeks ago. Johnson's family has the option to appeal at the state level, a process that would take roughly a month. That process is about to be completed for DB Tee Shepard, who will learn this week if he can play for Washington. The Notre Dame-commit played for Central last year.
Friday games for first place will match Edison vs. Sunnyside (County/Metro Athletic Conference), Hoover vs. Madera South (North Yosemite League), Mt. Whitney vs. Hanford (West Yosemite League) and Centennial vs. Bakersfield (Southwest Yosemite League).
If ever an 0-7 team is accompanied with an asterisk and intrigue it's Stockdale. The then-No. 4 Mustangs went 2-0 with star running back D.J. Martin, forfeited the wins because of his academic ineligibility, went 0-5 without him while being outscored 211-53 and now get him back this week for Frontier, which nearly knocked off Bakersfield last week. Regardless of how Stockdale finishes the regular season, many close to the program expect principal Ramon Hendrix to allow the Mustangs to participate in the postseason while making an exception to a school policy that requires teams to advance only with a .500 or better record.
Ridgeview QB Tyler Ferguson is out for the rest of the regular season with a broken collarbone. He could come back for the D-III playoffs, especially if the South Yosemite League leader advances to the semifinals or championship.