Enter the Warzone, lobbing peanut shells from the back row.
- Every sports fan knows that whenever a coach gets a "vote of confidence" it usually means the kiss of death.
We can't be certain about Thomas Boeh's modus operandi. But by getting behind Pat Hill, Fresno State's athletic director could just be lining up to give him the boot.
- Remember what finally sank Steve Cleveland. It wasn't that his teams were, at best, mediocre. It was that folks stopped caring.
Never miss a local story.
- Two weeks ago, the Bulldogs were favored over a Southeastern Conference team. Saturday, they were three-point underdogs to Utah State.
Even the wiseguys are at a loss to explain this team.
- What to call this Mountain West-Conference USA monstrosity?
Some of the better suggestions: Big County, Leftover-22, Conference OMFG, Catch-22 and Great American Football Fellowship (GAFF for short).
- For years, conferences like the Big East did everything possible to keep schools like Boise State from sharing college football's treasure trove.
Hope the Broncos make them grovel.
- Boise State, on the other hand, might not be in any hurry to join a league that probably loses its three best-known schools the moment Missouri makes up its mind about the SEC.
This conference realignment stuff has more plot twists than "One Life to Live."
- Can't wait for Fresno State basketball season. Let's see: There's Kevin Olekaibe, Steven Shepp and ... and ...
- Judging by how tough No. 13 Clovis West High played No. 11 Clovis North in Friday's 42-35 loss, we can't see the 0-6 Golden Eagles dropping more than a couple spots in Boogaard's rankings.
(Can't wait to see the emails.)
- Besides his 452 combined yards, Edison quarterback Khari McGee passed for five 2-point conversions against Bullard.
- Never been audited by the IRS, but it can't be any more painful than watching Tony La Russa manage a playoff game.
- Add Nelson Cruz to the list of stud outfielders (Carlos Gonzalez, Andre Ethier) the Oakland A's let get away.
Cruz's homers are hit so high they come with their own satellite transmissions, but Moneyball guru Billy Beane preferred Keith Ginter.
- For no particular reason: Mickey Tettleton.
- The NFL has decided to delay HGH testing. Either the players aren't convinced the tests are reliable, or they need more time to figure out how to beat them.
- NBA commissioner David Stern said his "gut" is telling him there won't be any games on Christmas unless a deal is reached Tuesday.
Sure wish Stern would consult his spleen in such matters.