ALLEN PARK, Mich. — The Detroit Lions confirmed the release of linebacker Zack Follett on Wednesday, less than 12 hours after he tweeted he was finished.
Lions President Tom Lewand said the team released Follett, who attended Clovis High and played college football at Cal, on Tuesday night.
The 24-year-old injured his neck injury in a helmet-to-helmet collision against the New York Giants in October and missed the remainder of the season. He did not participate in contact drills Tuesday, the first day the team was in full pads.
By Tuesday evening, Follett's Twitter page included tweets thanking coach Jim Schwartz and team executives before adding, "Much as I fought to give it a go just wasnt in His plan. No longer a Lion."
Never miss a local story.
Lewand saluted Follett's efforts to return to football, but said he felt the Lions were deep enough at linebacker without him.
Even after working to recover from the injury, Follett faced a daunting challenge just to make the Lions' linebacking corps. Detroit acquired free agents Stephen Tulloch and Justin Durant to complement DeAndre Levy and resigned restricted free agent Jerome Felton.
Follett played in five of Detroit's first six games, starting two of them, before being injured last year. He played in a dozen games, mostly as a special-teams player, in his rookie season.