A smoking item left in a trash can was the cause of a fire that left one person with minor injuries at a Visalia home Saturday, Visalia Fire Department Battalion Chief Brian Adney said.
Adney said fire crews responded to a report of a garage fire at 1720 S. Demaree St. around 9:29 a.m. where they found light smoke pouring out of a single-family home garage. They also found residents attempting to put a fire out with a garden hose.
Fire crews took over and extinguished the fire. Adney said the fire was accidental.
Fire damage to the home is estimated at $20,000, with an additional $1,000 in damage to items, Adney said.