An attic fire broke out at the Torrey Ridge Apartment Homes in southeast Fresno Wednesday evening, displacing 10 people.
The fire erupted around 6:25 p.m. at 224 S. Clovis Ave after residents turned on a malfunctioning heating/air-conditioning unit.
When the residents smelled smoke, they promptly dialed 911 and fire crews were able to douse the flames before the damage could spread to lower levels of the complex.
Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Todd Tuggle warns residents to check their heating units before turning them on as temperatures drop to avoid potential malfunctions.
Never miss a local story.
Megan Ginise: 559-441-6614