A kitchen fire in a southeast Fresno apartment displaced seven families Thursday night, Fresno fire officials said.
The fire was reported about 8:30 p.m. in a ground-floor apartment of the Vista Del Loma apartment complex at 475 N. Manila Ave., just south of Belmont Avenue and east of Clovis Avenue.
Individuals at the apartment complex tried to douse the blaze with fire extinguishers, and firefighters were able to keep it from spreading to the second story, said Fresno fire Battalion Chief Lawrence French.
Initial reports from residents suggested that a young child was in the second-story apartment directly above the flames, but firefighters checked and no child was found.
Never miss a local story.
The fire caused about $15,000 in damage, French said. The American Red Cross was called out to assist displaced residents.
“It’s important that Fresno residents remember and pay attention when cooking meals and do not leave any kitchen items unattended,” French said.