A stove burner started a blaze that caused significant fire damage to a Fresno apartment, displacing six people and killing one dog Monday night at 2825 W. Alamos Ave., Fresno Fire Battalion Chief Rich Cabral said.
The apartment’s six occupants — a mother and her five children — were not home when the fire started. A neighbor heard the apartment’s smoke alarm and called 911 shortly after 9:40 p.m., Cabral said. One of the family’s dogs was killed in the fire, but a second survived.
“The second [dog] looks like it’s coming through, but it’s too early to tell,” Cabral said.
With six people displaced, the Red Cross was expected to provide initial shelter, Cabral said. Most of the family’s belongings appeared heavily damaged, and the damage to the building looked to be significant, he said.
Never miss a local story.
Firefighters believe the fire was caused by a stove burner that had been left on, Cabral said, stressing the importance of kitchen safety.