Seven Hoover High School students, including one who was hospitalized, became ill Friday afternoon apparently after eating drug-laced cookies, according to the Fresno Police Department.
A freshman girl was taken to Saint Agnes Medical Center, said Fresno police Lt. Joe Gomez.
The seven students, all freshmen boys and girls, complained of stomach aches and grogginess, Gomez said.
Gomez said there is not a cookie for evidence to determine the contents, but the cookies consumed by the students could have contained marijuana, the sedative Xanax, and some other white powdery substance.
Never miss a local story.
It’s unknown who brought the cookies to the high school, but there are two students of interest. The investigation is ongoing, Gomez said.
Fresno Unified School District officials issued a statement about the incident Friday: “This afternoon a handful of Hoover High School ninth graders ingested cookies that were potentially laced with an unknown substance. Staff quickly identified those involved ensuring students were safe and evaluated.”
The officials said the district “is taking this incident extremely seriously and appreciates the students who came forward to report the incident to staff.”