Big, fuzzy and flavorful, the famed Elberta peach has arrived.
It’s a peach that people crave every year, some even drive long distances to get their hands on them, others buy as much as they can haul away.
So what’s the big deal?
Elberta followers will tell you its the sweet aroma, the strong peach flavor and its fine, delicate texture. There is also, of course, its juicy flesh.
Never miss a local story.
“I have a friend that calls it the elbow peach,” says farmer Donna Knowles of Fowler. “You eat it and juice will run down all the way to your elbow. It has such a sweet, true peach flavor.”
Devotees use it to bake, make into jam or just eat fresh off the tree. Knowles uses the ripest fruit to make peach ice cream.
To buy Knowles peaches, you must call and place an order for how much you want. And don’t worry if you only want a few. Knowles has picked as few as two pounds up to 100 pounds for customers.
Most farmers in the area will have Elbertas for at least two weeks, possibly longer.
But don’t hesitate, because the fruit is in demand.
Here is a list of farmers and fruit stands that sell the Elberta peach, or the closely related Fay Elbertas:
Enzo’s Table, Clovis
- Hours: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m., Monday-Saturday; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
- Location: 1959 N. Willow Ave.
- More information: 559-298-8290
D. E. Boldt Family Farm, Parlier
- Hours: Call for availability
- Location: 6299 S. Lac Jac Ave.
- More information: 559-638-7860
Knowles’ Farm, Fowler
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Location: 7175 S. Peach Ave. The Knowles do not have a fruit stand, so farmers Bill and Donna Knowles recommend customers call and order peaches in advance, then pick them up at the ranch.
- More info: 559-834-3666 or 284-1660
Mesplé Farms, Fresno
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily
- Location: 7443 N. Millbrook Ave., two houses south of Alluvial Avenue
- More info: 559-439-0104
PK Fruit Farms, Parlier
- Location: 16070 E. Lincoln. Please call in advance for peach availability
- More info: www.pkfruitfarms.com or 559-287-1441
Peach on Earth Farm, Fresno
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday. 10 a.m.-4 p.m Sunday
- Location: 4941 N. Dower Ave., just south of Shaw Avenue
- More info: 559-843-2333
Mizuno Farms, Reedley
- Location: 6319 S. Alta Ave. Contact farmer Rob Mizuno to order in advance and pick up at the farm. Call for availability.
- More info: 559-289-0108
Steve Lubisich’s farm stand, Clovis
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, Sundays by appointment only. His stand is behind a home on Nees Avenue, just west of Willow Avenue. Look for the sign that says “Peaches” then turn into the driveway.
- Location: Nees Avenue, just west of Willow Avenue
- More info: 559-217-2001
Wawona Orchards, The Peach Tree fruit stand, Clovis
- Hours: 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sundays.
- Location: Minnewawa Avenue, just north of Nees Avenue
- More info: Call for availability, 559-299-2901