It’s hot and it’s going to stay hot. So if you are looking for some relief from the triple-digit temperatures, here are a five places in Fresno to enjoy something cool, icy and different.
1. La Reina de Michoacana Paleteria y Neveria, 720 E. Belmont Ave. A true Fresno treat. This shop has become the go-to place for paletas – frozen fruit bars – and rich, hand-made, small-batch ice cream. You can find paletas in a range of flavors from strawberries and cream to arroz con leche.
2. Kogetsu-Do Confectionary, 920 F Street. An iconic Fresno business that’s become famous for its mochi – sweet rice flour dough – filled with ice cream and their snow cones, a huge cup of shaved ice drenched in their homemade syrups. It may be the best thing to cool you on a hot day.
Never miss a local story.
3. Sno Cafe Gourmet Shaved Ice, food truck. Speaking of snow cones. The Sno Cafe has quickly gained a loyal following of people who crave their icy treats that they call a snoball. It’s finely shaved ice loaded with delicious toppings. Try the shaved ice with pineapple and chamoy or the key lime pie snoball. Check their website, www.snocafetruck.com, for details on where they will be.
4. La Jacka Mobile, food truck. If you are looking for something refreshing and totally different, try La Jacka’s fresh fruit waters and smoothies. The drinks are made with jackfruit – a tropical fruit with a pleasantly sweet taste – and mixed with other fruits, including strawberries, cucumbers and lemons. Check their Facebook page to find out their location.
5. Bon Goût Gelato Lounge, 2950 E. Nees Ave. One of Fresno’s newest ice cream eateries. Bon Goût Gelato and its sorbetto come in 30 interesting flavors, including Bavarian mint, cold brew and waffle and maple. And if you are not familiar with gelato, it is an Italian ice cream that is generally lower in fat but still packed with plenty of flavor.