The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Special Rehearsal Script,” by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne.
▪ “The Underground Railroad: A Novel,” by Colson Whitehead.
▪ “The Woman in Cabin 10,” by Ruth Ware.
▪ “The Wrong Side of Goodbye,” by Michael Connelly.
▪ “The Black Widow,” by Daniel Silva.
▪ “To the Bright Edge of the World: A Novel,” by Eowyn Ivey. In 1885, a U.S. Army colonel and his wife exchange letters as he guides an expedition through Alaska’s rugged interior, and she seeks to understand herself better while tending home fires.
▪ “The King’s Revenge: Charles II and the Greatest Manhunt in British History,” by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh. The gripping story of how one British monarch set out to capture and kill, one by one, the men who dethroned and executed his father.
▪ “A Wife of Noble Character,” by Yvonne Georgina Puig. In contemporary Houston, a young high society woman and a struggling young architect pursue romance – although she scoffs at his lack of money, and he mocks her worship of wealth and influence.
▪ “Modern Romance,” by Aziz Ansari, with Eric Klinenberg. The well-known stand-up comedian takes a laugh-filled look at dating in today’s world, including some practical (and possibly useful) observations from sociologists and psychologists.
▪ “Outliers: The Story of Success,” by Malcolm Gladwell. How do people become billionaires, presidents and box-office stars, especially when they come from ordinary backgrounds? Gladwell offers some of the answers in his usual gee-whiz manner.
▪ “The Woman in Cabin 10,” by Ruth Ware. While travel writer Lo Blacklock is enjoying a luxury cruise, she sees a woman fall overboard – yet none of the people on board turn up missing. As she digs for the answers, she realizes her own life is at risk.
▪ Annual Friends of the Fresno County Library Book Sale: This event, featuring a huge selection of bargain-priced books, CDs, DVDs, and much more, will take place at the Sierra Vista Mall (Shaw and Clovis Avenues, Clovis). Open 10 a.m.-9 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 18-Friday, Aug. 19; 10 a.m.-8 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 20; and 11 a.m.-6 p.m., Sunday, Aug. 21. Details: 559-600-7286.
▪ Family Movies: Come join us for a family-friendly movie showing! Free popcorn will be provided. 2-4 p.m., Sunday, Aug.14, at Sunnyside Branch Library. Details: 559-600-6594.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.