The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Special Rehearsal Script,” by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne.
▪ “Crisis of Character: A White House Secret Service Officer Discloses His Firsthand Experience With Hillary, Bill, and How They Operate,” by Gary J. Byrne and Grant M. Schmidt.
▪ “The Girls: A Novel,” by Emma Cline.
▪ “First Comes Love: A Novel,” by Emily Giffin.
▪ “Foreign Agent: A Thriller,” by Brad Thor.
▪ “Death’s Bright Day,” by David Drake. Intrepid Captain Daniel Leary and his comrade in arms, Adele Mundy, are charged with stopping a distant-galaxies war between the Republic of Cinnabar and the Alliance of Free Stars. An action-packed addition to the popular RCN military science fiction series.
▪ “The Kamikaze Hunters: Fighting for the Pacific, 1945,” by Will Iredale. When the British Pacific Fleet joined the United States Navy during the last days of World War II, it faced continuing, savage air attacks from Japan. This is the heroic story of how the planes were stopped and the Allied victory clinched.
▪ “Ink and Bone,” by Lisa Unger. Finley Montgomery moves to a small town in upstate New York to help harness her immense psychic powers. Unfortunately, the ugliness she begins seeing under the town’s surface may soon push her into an emotional overload.
It’s National Grilling Month!
▪ “Guy on Fire: 130 Recipes for Adventures in Outdoor Cooking,” by Guy Fieri with Ann Volkwein. From the popular Food Network star, here are mouth-watering recipes for bacon-wrapped hot dogs, fried chicken Asian-style, baked beans with molasses, and much more.
▪ “Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction,” by Bobby Flay, with Stephanie Banyas and Sally Jackson. Another Food Network personality weighs in on outdoor cooking. The grilled lobster tails with lemon-Fresno butter will be of special interest to local cooks and readers!
▪ “The Prophets of Smoked Meat: A Journey Through Texas Barbecue,” by Daniel Vaughn. In a state where grilling is an art form, high calling and sport rolled into one, the author goes on a quest to find the best purveyors of barbecue … and names the surprisingly few people who come out on top.
▪ Studio Ghibli Monday: Come beat the heat as we screen animated classics from Studio Ghibli. Blankets and snacks encouraged! 4:30-7:30 p.m., Monday, July 18, at the Woodward Park Regional Library. Details: 559-600- 3135.
▪ Author Talk – Bruce Neuberger: Hear about his new book, “Lettuce Wars – Ten Years of Work and Struggle in the Fields of California.” 6-7:30 p.m., Wednesday, July 20, at the Selma Branch Library. Details: 559-896- 3393.
▪ Author Talk – Justin Levine: The Visalia author, coach, and motivational speaker will discuss hi
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.