The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Me Before You,” by Jojo Moyes.
▪ “Before the Fall,” by Noah Hawley.
▪ “The Girls,” by Emma Cline.
▪ “After You,” by Jojo Moyes.
▪ “Here’s to Us: A Novel,” by Elin Hilderbrand.
▪ “Sweetbitter,” by Stephanie Danler. Tess leaves a secure world in the Midwest to take a waitress job in a chic Manhattan restaurant. The new sights, smells, tastes and loves she experiences transform her, as person and soul.
▪ “The Aromatherapy Garden: Growing Fragrant Plants for Happiness and Well-Being,” by Kathi Keville. Discover the healing powers of scents and how to make your own body care products in this practical guide.
▪ “Smoke: A Novel,” by Dan Vyleta. In an alternative Victorian England, sins of thought and deed make people emit smoke.
Celebrating Father’s Day
▪ “Please Be With Me: A Song for My Father, Duane Allman,” by Galadrielle Allman. The story of how a daughter got to know her father, a founder of the Allman Brothers Band, through the eyes and ears of others – as he died when she was only 2.
▪ “The New Father: A Dad’s Guide to the First Year,” by Armin A. Brott. A month-by-month guide to what fathers can expect (and some things they won’t expect) when an infant first arrives at home.
▪ “Project Fatherhood: A Story of Courage and Healing in One of America’s Toughest Communities,” by Jorja Leap. An inspiring tale of how no-nonsense parenting triumphs in Los Angeles’s challenging Watts neighborhood.
▪ At the Library With Friends – Violin Virtuoso Patrick Contreras: This exciting artist blends a variety of musical styles to create a unique sound. Come early – seating is limited. Light refreshments will be served. Sponsored by Friends of the Sanger Library. 6:30-7:45 p.m., Monday, June 20, at the Sanger Branch Library. Details: 559-875-2435.
▪ Dog Days of Summer – Clifford Visits the Library: The Big Red Dog will be around for fun, activities, giveaways and photos! Registration is required. 11-11:45 a.m., Wednesday, June 22, at the Betty Rodriguez Regional Library. Details: 559-600- 9245.
▪ Classic Children’s Movies: Come see a time-tested children’s film and introduce an old favorite to new generations. Blankets and snacks are encouraged. 1-4 p.m., Friday, June 25, at the at the Woodward Park Regional Library. Details: 559-600-3135.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.