The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Me Before You,” by Jojo Moyes.
▪ “Before the Fall,” by Noah Hawley.
Never miss a local story.
▪ “Modern Lovers,” by Emma Straub.
▪ “15th Affair,” by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.
▪ “A Great Reckoning,” by Louise Penny.
▪ “The Summer Guest: A Novel,” by Alison Anderson. When a young woman goes blind and keeps a journal of her relationship with Anton Chekhov, it affects her life profoundly – along with the lives of those who discover the journal many years later.
▪ “Salmon: Everything You Need to Know + 45 Recipes,” by Diane Morgan. The farming, catching, fileting and cooking of this popular fish are all covered in depth.
▪ “Katherine of Aragon, The True Queen: A Novel,” by Alison Weir. One of England’s most tragic and beloved monarchs, the first wife of Henry VIII, is brought back to life in this compelling narrative.
200 Years of ‘Frankenstein’
▪ “Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein: A Graphic Novel,” by Michael Burgan and Dennis Calero. The classic tale, retold for the millennial generation.
▪ “The Lady and Her Monsters: A Tale of Dissections, Real-Life Dr. Frankensteins, and the Creation of Mary Shelley’s Masterpiece,” by Roseanne Montillo. A story as compelling as the novel itself: how poetry, surgery, madness and experimental science were blended to create an enduring monument of English literature.
▪ “The Case of the Missing Moonstone,” by Jordan Stratford. A young Mary Shelley turns amateur detective in this fast-paced adventure for children.
▪ Summer Reading Challenge – Lunch at the Library Kick-Off Celebration: Join us to celebrate the start of these two summertime Library programs! Performers, activities, special exhibits, and more! 10 a.m.—2 p.m., Monday, June 13, at the Betty Rodriguez Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9245.
▪ Family History Blogs and Social Media: Jana Last will show how the Internet can be used to fill out the branches of your family tree. Co-sponsored with the Fresno County Genealogical Society. 6:40-8:40 p.m., Tuesday, June 14, at the Woodward Park Regional Library. Details: 559-600- 3135.
▪ Author Talk: Hear local artist, author and professor Doug Hansen discuss his new book, “California, the Magic Island.” Books will be available for signing and purchasing after the event. 6-7 p.m., Wednesday, June 15, at the at the Betty Rodriguez Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9245.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.