The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Me Before You,” by Jojo Moyes.
▪ “Before the Fall,” by Noah Hawley.
Never miss a local story.
▪ “The Hidden Oracle,” by Rick Riordan.
▪ “Five Presidents: My Extraordinary Journey with Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, and Ford,” by Clint Hill, with Lisa McCubbin.
▪ “The Nest,” by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney.
▪ “Warlock Holmes: A Study in Brimstone,” by G.S. Denning. In this new novel, the famous detective is re-imagined as a “consulting magician” – able to enlist demon armies to combat the villains of Victorian-age London.
▪ “Grief Is a Journey: Finding Your Path Through Loss,” by Dr. Kenneth J. Doka. The author maps out a bold new strategy for dealing with death – recognizing it as an ongoing process for the living that has no precise end point.
▪ “My Best Friend’s Exorcism: A Novel,” by Grady Hendrix. High school classmates Abby and Gretchen are inseparable, until one of them begins acting strangely. Is the devil strong enough to drive a permanent wedge between them?
Celebrating Pet Appreciation Week
▪ “Malcolm Under the Stars,” by W.H. Beck. For younger readers: The Midnight Academy is being threatened with permanent closure, but not if its resident animals (and a few human students) can help it!
▪ “Grumpy Cat No-it- All: Everything You Need To Know/No,” by Grumpy Cat. Straight from the Internet sensation, Grumpy Cat (real name: Tardar Sauce) weighs in on a variety of contemporary and cultural institutions that all deserve a big yawn.
▪ “This Side of Wild: Mutts, Mares, and Laughing Dinosaurs,” by Gary Paulsen. From a master storyteller, here are unforgettable portraits of a dog who drinks coffee, a horse who saves a rabbit from coyotes, and much more.
▪ Success With Succulents Workshop: Get hands-on experience with growing and propagating succulents, assisted by a Master Gardener. 1-2 p.m., Sunday, June 5, at the Fig Garden Regional Library. Details: 559-600-4071.
▪ Family Night: Join us for summer-themed, all-ages crafts, stories, songs and games. 6-7 p.m., Wednesday, June 8, at the Clovis Regional Library. Details: 559-600- 9531.
▪ M.A.K.E.R. (Make a Kind Earth, Recycle!) Learn how to make recycled paper and special projects with it! Presented by the County of Fresno’s Public Works and Planning Department. 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, June 11, at the San Joaquin Branch Library. Details: 559-693- 2171.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.