The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Me Before You,” by JoJo Moyes
▪ “15th Affair,” by James Patterson
Never miss a local story.
▪ “The Last Mile,” by David Baldacci
▪ “The Hidden Oracle,” by Rick Riordan
▪ “Extreme Prey,” by John Sanford
▪ “The Doll-Master and Other Tales of Terror,” by Joyce Carol Oates. A chilling collection of six short stories from a contemporary master of horror and dark fiction.
▪ “Imagine Me Gone,” by Adam Haslett. A tale of the effects of mental illness on two generations of a family, and how each member struggles, understands, and survives through love and faith. The story unfolds from alternating points of view from each of the five family members.
▪ “Boy with a Knife: A Story of Murder, Remorse, and a Prisoner’s Fight for Justice,” by Jean Trounstine. The true story of Karter Kane Reed, who at age 16 was sentenced to life in adult prison. In 2013, Reed sued the Massachusetts Parole Board and won his freedom. His crime, trial, sentence, and attempt to readjust to society are explored.
Picnics, Potlucks and Parties
▪ “Preschool Parties: Easy Ideas for Princesses, Pirates and Other Little People,” by Colleen Mullaney. Fun ideas are provided for themed parties for the preschool set, including “Beary Friends Picnic,” “A Date with Dinosaurs” and “Take Me Out to the Ballgame.”
▪ “The Gourmet Potluck: Show-Stopping Recipes for the Buffet Table,” by Beth Hensperger. Recipes for sophisticated gatherings including tips for prepping, serving, transporting and reheating. Each recipe serves 10 to 16 guests.
▪ “The Ultimate Disney Party Book,” by Jessica Ward with Cynthia Littlefield. A guide for planning and preparing for character-themed parties, including ideas for decorations, crafts and recipes.
▪ Video Games at Mosqueda: Join us for fun games for all ages. 2:30-4:30 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday, May 25 and 26, at the Mosqueda Branch Library. Details: 559-600-4072.
▪ Sunnyside After-School Activity: Join us for a fun craft or activity after school. 3:30-4:30 p.m., Tuesday, May 24, at the Sunnyside Regional Library. Details: 559-600-6594.
▪ Getting Started with eReaders: Learn the secrets to success in downloading eBooks and digital audio books to your device. 6-7:30 p.m., Thursday, May 26, at the Fowler Branch Library. Please register in advance: 559-600-9281.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600-6227 for details.