The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “The 5th Wave,” by Rick Yancey.
▪ “Find Her,” by Lisa Gardner.
▪ “The Widow,” by Fiona Barton.
▪ “Playing to the Edge: American Intelligence in the Age of Terror,” by Michael V. Hayden.
▪ “Sarah, Plain and Tall,” by Patricia MacLachlan.
▪ “The Immortals,” by Jordanna Max Brodsky. Artemis, the fabled Goddess of the Hunt, is alive and well – living under an assumed name, and tracking down a serial killer hiding in New York City’s shadows!
▪ “Always Hungry? Conquer Cravings, Retrain Your Fat Cells and Lose Weight Permanently,” by David Ludwig, M.D., Ph.D. This groundbreaking study shows how traditional diets fail and that effective weight loss doesn’t revolve around food intake.
▪ “Violent Crimes: An Amanda Jaffe Novel,” by Phillip Margolin. When an influential big business lawyer and his partner are murdered, a prime suspect emerges quickly, with a damaging confession—but his defense team isn’t so sure he’s telling the truth.
It’s National Women’s History Month
▪ “The Secret History of Wonder Woman,” by Jill Lepore. A close-up look at this enduring, inspiring superhero, created by a Harvard-educated psychologist who helped invent the modern lie detector.
▪ “History of Women’s Fashion,” by Natasha Slee; illustrated by Sanna Mander. See the evolution of women’s dress during the 20th and 21st centuries, set forth in a folding panorama that’s six and a half feet long!
▪ “My Life on the Road,” by Gloria Steinem. An American cultural icon discusses the places and people she’s discovered over decades of social activism, and how they have affected her thoughts and touched her emotions.
▪ Blossom Trail Clearance Sale: Buy a full book bag for $5, plus other bargain-priced treasures! Hosted by the Sanger Friends of the Library. Proceeds will benefit the library. 11 a.m.-7 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, March 7-8, at the Sanger Branch Library. Details: 559-600-9531.
▪ Family Night: Join us for stories, songs, and crafts that are fun for all ages. 6-7 p.m., Wednesday, March 9, at the Clovis Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9531.
▪ Saturday Family Movies: Enjoy free, family-friendly movies. Snacks and drinks allowed. Presented by the Betty Rodriguez Friends of the Library. 12:30-2, 2:30-3 p.m., Saturday, March 12, at the Betty Rodriguez Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9245.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600-6227 for details.