The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “The Widow,” by Fiona Barton
▪ “When Breath Becomes Air,” by Paul Kalanithi
Never miss a local story.
▪ “A Mother’s Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy,” by Sue Klebold
▪ “Breakdown,” by Jonathan Kellerman
▪ “Pretty Happy: Healthy Ways to Love Your Body,” by Kate Hudson, with Billie Fitzpatrick
▪ “Nelly Dean: A Return to Wuthering Heights,” by Alison Case. Relive the heartbreak, romance and passion of Emily Brontë’s famous novel, with the Earnshaws’ housekeeper as the central character in this spirited narrative.
▪ “Anatomy of Love: A Natural History of Mating, Marriage and Why We Stray,” by Helen Fisher. By looking deep into the brain, body chemistry and evolution, the author offers detailed explanations as to how the most important human emotions unfold.
▪ “The Unfinished World: And Other Stories,” by Amber Sparks. In this collection, enter an off-center universe where atmosphere is more important than plot, peopled by werewolves, ghosts, space pirates and amateur taxidermists.
It’s Floral Design Day!
▪ “Origami Ikebana: Create Lifelike Floral Sculptures From Paper,” by Benjamin John Coleman. Find out how the simplest materials can be used to make realistic thistles, buttercups and morning glories that stay colorful for ages – and require no maintenance!
▪ “Everyday Flowers: Flowers To Beautify and Decorate the Home,” by Paula Pryke. The author shows readers how to select less expensive, more durable and highly attractive flowers, suitable for both special occasions and everyday use.
▪ Brewmaster Talk: Learn about craft beers, beer styles and the brewing process by joining us for a talk with Rhett and Cheryl Williams of 559 LOCAL, a microbrewery in Old Town Clovis. 6:30-7:30 p.m., Monday, Feb. 29, at the Clovis Regional Library. Details: 559-600-9531.
▪ Author Talk – Auberry Branch Library: Hear John Austin discuss his study, “Floods and Droughts in the Tulare Lake Basin,” which reviews 2,000 years’ worth of local climate and water history. Part of the Anne Neal Guest Speaker Series. 7:30-8:30 p.m., Friday, March 4, at the Auberry Branch Library. Details: 559-600-3135.
▪ Blossom Trail Book Sale: Come visit this annual event, hosted by the Sanger Friends of the Library. Browse a huge selection of inexpensive used titles. All proceeds benefit the library. 10 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, March 5, at the Sanger Branch Library. Details: 559-875-2435.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600-6227 for details.