The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “The Crossing,” by Michael Connelly.
▪ “Killing Reagan,” by Bill O’Reilly.
Never miss a local story.
▪ “The Sword of Summer,” by Rick Riordan.
▪ “The Martian: A Novel,” by Andy Weir.
▪ “Come Rain or Come Shine: A Mitford Novel,” by Jan Karon.
▪ “Yoga Therapy for Stress & Anxiety: Create a Personalized Holistic Plan to Balance Your Life,” by Robert Butera, Ph.D.; Erin Byron, M.A.; and Staffan Elgelid, Ph.D., P.T. The authors explain how to erase constant unease by using different diet, breathing, thinking, and physical routines.
▪ “Falling in Love With Hominids,” by Nalo Hopkinson. From the noted Jamaican author, a collection of stories that features ghosts in shopping malls, post-apocalyptic survival, and fire-breathing chickens.
▪ “A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: Being the Adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall, and His Squire, Egg,” by George R.R. Martin. This volume combines the exciting novellas that introduce the author’s renowned “Game of Thrones” series.
60 Years of “The Lord of the Rings”
▪ “The Hobbit Party: The Vision of Freedom That Tolkien Got and the West Forgot,” by Jonathan Witt and Jay Richards. An exploration of seldom-noted themes in Tolkien’s work: the need for less government, personal liberty and economic freedom.
▪ “The Fellowship: The Literary Lives of the Inklings, J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, Owen Barfield, Charles Williams,” by Philip and Carol Zaleski. The story of how a loose-knit group of Oxford professors wrote some of the 20th century’s best-loved mythical and mystical books.
▪ The Shadow of the Raven: Join us as Broadway and film veteran Duffy Hudson brings the well-known, yet enigmatic, personality of Edgar Allan Poe to life. 6:30-7:30 p.m., Wednesday, Oct. 21, at the Reedley Branch Library (559-638-2818); 6:30-7:30 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 22, at the Gillis Branch Library (559-225-0140); 6:30-7:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 23, at Clovis Centennial Plaza, Bullard and Pollasky streets (bring chair for seating); 11 a.m.-noon, Saturday, Oct. 24, at the Sanger Branch Library (559-875-2435) and 3-4 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 24, at the Sunnyside Branch Library (559-600-6594).
▪ Friends of the Woodward Park Regional Library Used Book Sale: Get great bargains in books, CDs, DVDs and more! Noon-5 p.m., Friday, Oct. 23, and 9 a.m.-5 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 24, at the Library. Details: 559-600-3135.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600-6227 for details.