Some events commemorating the life of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. will bring together the area’s faith community. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is Jan. 19.
• An annual Martin Luther King Jr. Day Breakfast — presented by the West Fresno Ministerial Alliance — is scheduled at 6 a.m. Jan. 15 at Westside Church of God, 1422 W. California Ave.
The theme is “Day of Reconciliation.” The speaker is Bishop Martin Luther Johnson of Mt. Olive Holy Temple Church of God in Christ in Neptune, N.J.
Cost is $25 per person. All tickets must be prepaid. No tickets will be sold at the door.
The West Fresno Ministerial Alliance also will offer an MLK Day Worship Service at 7 p.m. Jan. 15 at Fellowship Missionary Baptist Church, 2529 E. Belmont Ave. Everyone is welcome.
Details for both events: (559) 213-5925.
• A candlelight vigil will be presented by the MLK Jr. Unity Committee of Fresno at 6 p.m. Jan. 17 at the Fresno City College fountain, 1101 E. University Ave.
Details: (559) 227-9819.
• A free talk on “Remembering and Renewing King’s Dream for Peace” — sponsored by Fresno Pacific University and African American Historical & Cultural Museum — is scheduled at 6 p.m. Jan. 23 at the museum, 1857 Fulton St.
The speaker is Adam Ghali, assistant professor at Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary.
In commemoration of MLK Jr. and Black History Month in February, Fresno Pacific and the African American Historical & Cultural Museum also will offer a lecture on “The Black Church Experience: Struggle for Freedom” at 6 p.m. Feb 23, also at the museum.
The speaker is Allen Carden, a professor at Fresno Pacific. Bishop Charles Dickerson, senior pastor of Pearly Grove Baptist Church, will lead worship.
Details for both events: email, Karen.email@example.com or call, (559) 453-2020.
• Opening garlanding ceremony: 11:30 a.m.-1:15 p.m. Fresno County Courthouse Park (at the MLK bust on the west side of the park), 1100 Van Ness Ave. Please bring flowers. Details: 681-3140.
• Awards reception: 6-7:30 p.m. Rutherford “Bud” Gaston Middle School, 1120 E. Church Ave. Reception to honor awardees for outstanding service to the community. Details: 862-3931, 301-5466.
• Community breakfast: 9 a.m. Clovis Veterans Memorial Building, 453 Hughes Ave., Clovis. Speaker: Dr. Joseph Castro, President of Fresno State. Tickets are $5 with a canned food donation, tables of 8 are available with advance registration. Details: 324-2476, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Candlelight vigil: 6 p.m. Fresno City College, fountain outside of the Administration Building, across from the library, 1101 E. University Ave. Details: 227-9819.
• March and “Mountain of Food” collection: 9:15-10:45 a.m. Fresno City Hall, 2600 Fresno St. March begins at 10 a.m. and ends at the Veterans Memorial Auditorium for a commemoration program. Canned foods will be collected at Fresno City Hall. Details: 284-6420.
• Commemoration program: 10:45 a.m.-noon Veterans Memorial Auditorium, 2425 Fresno St. Speaker: Delores Huerta. Details: 213-5925.
• Yosemite National Park: Free admission day.
• “Remembering and Renewing King’s Dream for Peace”: 6 p.m. African American Historical & Cultural Museum, 1857 Fulton St. Speaker: Adam Ghali, Ph.D. assistant professor, Fresno Pacific Biblical Seminary. Free. Details: 453-2020, Karen.email@example.com.
• Student Art Exhibition Reception and Program: 4:30-6 p.m. Clovis Veterans Memorial Building, 453 Hughes Ave. Honoring student speech, essay and art winners from Fresno County School Districts. Art on display Jan. 17-Feb. 27. Details: 265-3090.