The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “Into the Water,” by Paula Hawkins.
▪ “Camino Island,” by John Grisham.
▪ “16th Seduction,” by James Patterson and Maxine Paetro.
▪ “No Middle Name: The Complete Collected Jack Reacher Short Stories,” by Lee Child.
▪ “The Late Show,” by Michael Connelly.
▪ “The Beach House Cookbook: Easy Breezy Recipes with a Southern Accent,” by Mary Kay Andrews. Cherry cola ribs, buttermilk-brined fried chicken, and key lime popsicles are among the recipes you’ll find in this mouth-watering volume.
▪ “Edited Out,” by E.J. Copperman. Did you ever wonder what might happen if a fictional detective came to life and began irritating his creator? Find the answers in this one-of- a-kind mystery that will keep you guessing up to the last page.
▪ “Before We Sleep,” by Jeffrey Lent. Travel with Katey Snow as she leaves her comfortable Vermont home and goes on a road trip to discover what she—and her family—are really like, and uncover a host of past secrets. It Was 50 Years Ago Today, Sergeant Pepper Taught the Band How to Play “I Was There: The Beatles,” edited by Richard Houghton. See the Fab Four through the eyes of their fans and find out, in their words, what the TV shows, the concerts and the general excitement was all about.
▪ “Eight Days a Week: The Touring Years” (DVD), directed by Ron Howard. A documentary that shows The Beatles’ steady rise to the top and takes you into the middle of their career decisions, recording studios and personal appearances.
▪ “Ringo: With a Little Help,” by Michael Starr. Here’s the complete story of Richard Starkey from Liverpool, who changed his name and soon became one of the most famous drummers the world has ever seen.
▪ Reedley Book Group: Come join us for a lively discussion of a different book each month. This month’s selection is “A Man Called Ove,”; by Fredrik Backman. Sponsored by the Friends of the Reedley Library.10:30 a.m., Tuesday, at the Reedley Branch Library. Details: 559-638-2818.
▪ Life Hacks for Teens: Life doesn’t come with instructions. Come have fun, eat snacks and learn success skills! This week’s Wednesday session will show you how to get a first job, and Thursday’s will cover first aid techniques. 3:30-4:30 p.m., Wednesday-Thursday, at the Kerman Branch Library. Details: 559-846-8804.
▪ Friends of the Gillis Library Book Sale: Come to shop for great books, CDs, DVDs, tapes, and more! 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Thursday-Saturday, at the Gillis Branch Library. Details: 559-225-0140.