The Fresno County Library’s Bookshelf column shares suggestions for books, music, and other items, and provides information about library programs.
Top 5 Most Requested Books
▪ “The Fix,” by David Baldacci.
▪ “Into the Water,” by Paula Hawkins.
▪ “Golden Prey,” by John Sandford.
▪ “One Perfect Lie,” by Lisa Scottoline.
▪ “Thirteen Reasons Why,” by Jay Asher.
▪ “A Single Spy,” by William Christie. Young Alexei Smirnov learns to live by his wits—first, as an orphan in Stalin’s Soviet Union, and then as a double agent squeezing secrets out of Nazi Germany’s military intelligence.
▪ “If We Were Villains,” by M.L. Rio. When the students at Dellecher Classical Conservatory start performing Shakespeare, little do they realize it will lead to murder, a prison sentence, and a wronged man looking to clear his name.
▪ “Knife: Texas Steakhouse Meals at Home,” by John Tesar and Jordan Mackay. Learn the surprisingly simple rules for done-right beef from a culinary master, whom Anthony Bourdain calls “the single most talented cook I ever worked with.” Also available on Overdrive.
▪ “The Happiest Mommy You Know: Why Putting Your Kids First is the Last Thing You Should Do,” by Genevieve Shaw Brown. The ABC News reporter tells how she (and you) can use her children’s healthy eating menu as a guide to lose weight and gain more energy!
▪ “Leave Me,” by Gayle Forman. When a shattering life crisis interrupts Maribeth Klein’s too-busy life as career woman, wife and mother, she takes the time to focus on someone who’s suffered from years of neglect—herself. Also available on Overdrive and iCloud.
▪ “Mother’s Day,” directed by Garry Marshall (DVD). Three different generations of people arrive in Atlanta on the week before Mother’s Day, aiming to connect and re-connect with their families. Stars Jennifer Aniston, Kate Hudson and Julia Roberts.
▪ Jazz at the Library: Join us as Jazz Fresno presents another performance by local musicians! This month, it’s Rich Severson and his quartet exploring the music of guitarist Wes Montgomery. Tuesday, 7-8:30 p.m., at the Woodward Park Regional Library. Details: 559-600-3135.
▪ Tween and Teen Activity Groups: For grades 3-6 and 7-12, a weekly program of fun and crafts. Meet new people. Read new books. Snacks provided! 4-5:15 p.m., Thursday, at the Auberry Branch Library. Details: 559-855-8523.
▪ FCPL 18th Annual Poetry Contest Awards: Come hear and celebrate the winning poems by Fresno County residents! California Poet Laureate Dana Gioia will present a reading of his work. Refreshments and music will be provided. Saturday, 1-3 p.m., Bitwise South Stadium, 700 Van Ness Ave., Fresno. Details: 559-600-6227.
This is a weekly column written by the Fresno County Public Library staff. Events are usually free. Visit fresnolibrary.org, or call 559-600- 6227 for details.