▪ The event: Korean pianist Joyce Yang returns for the third time to perform with the Philip Lorenz Memorial Keyboard Concerts series (3 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, Fresno State Concert Hall, www.keyboardconcerts.com, 559-278-2337, $25, $18 seniors, $5 students). The program (cosponsored by the Central California Korean Historical Society) includes works by Scarlatti, Albeniz and Debussy.
▪ The draw: Yang was a silver medalist of the 2005 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition. She performed in 2011 with the Fresno Philharmonic. The Washington Post recently wrote she is blessed with “poetic and sensitive pianism.”
‘LOVE CONQUERS ALL’
▪ The event: Jinjoo Cho, gold medalist at the International Violin Competition of Indianapolis, performs the Saint-Saens violin concert at the Youth Orchestras of Fresno’s annual “Love Conquers All” fundraiser (7 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 21, Shaghoian Hall, 2770 E. International Ave., www.youthorchestrasfresno.org, 559-275-6694, reserved seats $5-$35, free tickets at door available). Also on the program: Waxman’s “Carmen Fantasie” (major pyrotechnics promised!) and Brahms Symphony No. 3.
▪ The draw: Cho is a definite up-and-comer, having performed as a soloist with the Cleveland Orchestra and the Seoul Philharmonic Orchestra. And the “Love Conquers All” event is a swanky and sweet affair, with lots of chocolate involved.
▪ More Cho: You can also hear the violinist as part of the Three Rivers Performing Arts Series (7 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 20, Community Presbyterian Church, 43410 Sierra Drive, Three Rivers, www.threeriversperformingarts.org, 559-561-1100, $12, children free).
HONORING PHILIP LEVINE
▪ The event: Fresno State hosts “Philip Levine: A Celebration” in tribute to Fresno’s former U.S. poet laureate (2 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 20, Fresno State Concert Hall, www.fresnostate.edu, free). The program includes remarks from some of Levine’s past colleagues and students, including C.G. Hanzlicek, Peter Everwine and David St. John.
▪ The draw: Levine was a lion in the world of poetry, and to hear this many poets gathered to honor him will be a rare event. Stay tuned during the reception for an announcement about remembering Levine at Fresno State.