• Two new theater productions open in Fresno this weekend.
• Good Company Players take on the ugly bridesmaid dress in the play “Always a Bridesmaid.”
• Fresno City College stages the family friendly children’s fantasy “Still Life with Iris.”
Never miss a local story.
From four bridesmaids who swore 30 years ago to be in each other’s weddings to a little girl living in a strange land where memories reside in people’s coats, you’ll find two new Fresno-area theater productions opening this weekend.
• At 2nd Space Theatre, the Good Company Players production of“Always a Bridesmaid”
follows four best friends who have been riding a “marry-go-round” the past three decades. One thing is a given: horrendous bridesmaid dresses.
The play is written by Jessie Jones, Nicholas Hope and Jamie Wooten, the team behind “The Red Velvet Cake Wars” and “The Dixie Swim Club” at 2nd Space.
The cast features Ethel Birrell, Jacquie Broach, Wendy Crabtree, Cindy Freeland, Teresa Gibson and Christy Hathaway. Elizabeth Fiester directs.
“Always a Bridesmaid” plays through April 19. Tickets are $18, $15 students and seniors. Details: www.gcplayers.com, (559) 266-0660.
• At Fresno City College,“Still Life with Iris”
is a children’s play written for third-graders and older. It’s set in the fantasy world named Nocturno, where if you lose your coat you don’t know who you are because you’ve lost your memories.
Written by Steven Dietz, “Still Life with Iris” was honored by the Kennedy Center’s Fund for New American Plays. Janine Christl directs the Fresno City College production, which uses students in the children’s roles.
It plays through March 8 at Fresno City College Theatre, including two special 9:30 a.m. performances on March 4 and 5. Tickets are $14, $12 students/seniors. Details: www.fresnocitycollege.edu, (559) 442-8221.