One of the great things about Chris Sorensen -- besides the fact that his gallery is usually chock-full of interesting stuff at ArtHop -- is this longtime Fresno metal sculptor's willingness to show his work at other area venues. That's the case with tonight's downtown/Tower Art- Hop, the monthly open house of galleries and studios.
Sorensen joins with artist Amy Kohl in a show titled "Metalworkers" at the Downtown Community Arts Collective, 754 P St. The 5-8 p.m. reception is free.
The collective is also seeking submissions for its March exhibition, the "iPhone Photo Show." Details: dcacfresno.org.
Over at the Chris Sorensen Studio, 2223 S. Van Ness Ave., meanwhile, tonight's ArtHop features a juried exhibition titled "Art from the Heart." Details: cmsartstudio.com.
Never miss a local story.
Some more ArtHop picks:
* Chinatown becomes an Art-Hop hot spot with the newly opened Nihon Gallery, 1429 Kern St. The gallery this month features paintings by Walfred Rodriguez from Oaxaca, Mexico, who will be at the opening.
He was a featured artist at "Contemporaneo" at the Fresno Art Museum in 2008. Also featured: Vicente Aello's drawings and music from Trumpet Solo. Details: nihongallery.blogspot.com.
* "Gunpowder artist" Robert Weibel has new 9-foot images on display at the K-Jewel Art Gallery, 1415 Fulton St. Weibel has been developing and refining gunpowder drawing and printing for several years. Details: kjwl.com.
* HandsOn Central California, a nonprofit volunteer organization, has opened a new retail shop at its business office, 732 N. Van Ness Ave. The focus is to sell local items at a small consignment fee, with the proceeds going back to HOCC. For Art- Hop, Fresno winery Milla Vineyards will pour its wines and Community Food Bank will set out desserts. Details: (559) 237-3101.
* Gallery 25, 660 Van Ness Ave., presents the watercolor/digital work of gallery member L.K. Papadakis in a show titled "Tenacious Escapism." Also featured: guest artists Alex De Busk and Nicole Margulis. Details: (559) 264-4092, gallery25.org.
* There will be an array of photographic styles to peruse at Spectrum Gallery's "Members' Show 2010." The gallery, at 608 E. Olive Ave., is made up of nearly 100 fine-art photographers. Details: spectrumphoto gallery.org, (559) 266-0691.
* Works by artist Bebe Long, known for her bold florals, whimsical cats and lush landscapes, will be featured at Fulton's Folly Antique Collective, 920 E. Olive Ave. Details: (559) 268-3856.
* For more ArtHop options, go to fresnoarthop.org.