A couple of TV comedies take the spotlight in this week’s DVD releases.
“Hot in Cleveland: The Complete Series,” Grade (☆☆☆): Valerie Bertinelli, Jane Leeves, Wendie Malick and Betty White made this show a hit because they were the funniest comedy ensemble working in TV when the show was on the air.
Being able to watch the series from the start shows the cast’s skills through a series of comedic adventures. Betty White’s comic brilliance is reason enough to pick up the complete set.
There are 128 episodes included in the complete set. If you don’t want the whole series, the sixth season is also available on its own.
“The Beverly Hillbillies: The Official First Season,” Grade (
Come along and listen to a story about a DVD that looks at the Clampett family. The CBS comedy milked humor out of having a family of backwoods people move to Beverly Hills. The boxed set features more than 15 hours of programming.
Wee doggies! The family featured the down-home charm of Jed (Buddy Ebsen), the feisty ways of Granny (Irene Ryan), the naive charms of Elly May (Donna Douglas), and the man destined to be either a short order cook or a scientist, Jethro (Max Baer Jr.).
CBS pulled the series while it still had high ratings because it wasn’t classy enough.
Also new on DVD and On Demand April 26
▪ “19-2: Season 1”: Adrian Holmes and Jared Keeso portray partners in the Montreal Police Department.
▪ “Krampus”: Young boy’s rejection of the Christmas holiday unleashes an evil force.
▪ “The Driftless Area”: Man ends up in danger after he returns home after the death of his parents.
▪ “Dolemite”: Black exploitation film about the baddest pimp in town who has just been released from prison.
▪ “Son of Saul”: Hungarian forced to help the Nazis decides to save the body of a Jewish boy.
▪ “Ride Along 2”: Ice Cube and Kevin Hart hit the road to dish out their comedic style of justice.
▪ “Wabbit”: New animated series stars Bugs Bunny.
▪ “Sssssss”: Mad scientist wants to turn humans into snakes.
▪ “Backtrack”: Psychologist learns the patients he has been seeing are ghosts.
▪ “Nova: Creatures of Light”: A look at the nearly 90 percent of all species in the ocean depths shine.
▪ “The Last Man on the Moon”: Gene Cernan talks about his trip to the moon.
▪ “Caillou’s Pet Parade”: Caillou and his friends meet a variety of animals.
▪ “Packed in a Trunk: The Lost Art of Edith Lake Wilkinson”: Story of a gifted artist committed to an asylum in 1924.
▪ “Death Becomes Her”: Robert Zemeckis film starring Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn.
▪ “The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour Country Special”: Guests include Johnny Cash, Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and Minnie Pearl.
Available on Digital HD
▪ “Dirty Grandpa”: Grandson and his grandfather go on a road trip.
“Ladygrey”: Community tries to forget the violent clashes of the past. Peter Sarsgaard stars.