Now that Californians have made it possible to buy recreational marijuana, there may be some people looking for a few movies that would go along with their smoking. Here’s my list of the 10 best movies dealing with weed.
10. “The Big Lebowski” (1998): The Dude (Jeff Bridges) gets mistaken for a millionaire. That shows you the impact of marijuana on this story.
9. “Soul Plane” (2004): Snoop Dogg stars in this film about the maiden flight of a black-owned airline that shows how to get high while being high in the air.
8. “Half Baked” (1998): Dave Chappelle tops this cast. Need I say more?
Never miss a local story.
7. “Cheech and Chong’s Next Movie” (1980): This stoner sequel gets its laughs out of everything the comedy team does being way over the top. It’s a case where that works perfectly.
6. “Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle” (2004): Not only are the stoners played by John Cho and Kal Penn hillarious, the film will make you hungry for those tiny burgers.
5. “Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical” (2005): A great cast that includes Kristen Bell, Neve Campbell, Alan Cumming and Ana Gasteyer mixed with a great soundtrack makes watching this take on the 1936 film addictive to watch.
4. “Dazed and Confused” (1993): This look back at high school in the ‘70s helped launch the career of Matthew McConaughey.
3. “Pineapple Express” (2008): A stoner (Seth Rogen) becomes the only witness to a murder. The film will make you long for the days of drive-in movies because this is the kind of meaningless film that was perfect for those outdoor venues.
2. “Up In Smoke” (1978): Cheech Martin and Tommy Chong remain the masters of marijuana. Watching them try to smuggle a van made of weed from Mexico to Los Angeles is the ultimate trip.
1. “Reefer Madness” (1936): This is supposed to be a serious movie about drug addiction but the crazed performances make it look more like Saturday night in Hell. Drug dealers prey on innocent teens luring them to getting hooked by giving theme reefer cigarettes at wild jazz parties. Today, it just looks like a parody of drug movies.
That’s my 10 but there were many more that could have made the list. Feel free to share your favorites.