Letters to the Editor
Interesting facts about Fresno Unified:
* Teachers' salaries have been frozen (no pay raise) since 2008.
* Teachers took a two-day forced layoff in 2009-2010 for a 1.6% cut in pay and a one-day forced lay off in 2010-2011 for a 1.1 % cut.
* The last six years of not receiving COLA is equal to a loss of buying power of 18%.
* Fresno is the second poorest large city in the United States.
* When Fresno Unified was in financial trouble, the teachers willingly didn't take a COLA to help the district with the promise that they would receive it when the district was more financially stable.
* The district now is stable with $60 million in reserve.
* Superintendent Michael Hanson makes more money than Gov. Jerry Brown or any other superintendent in California including incentives ($375,000). The school board, excluding Michelle Asadoorian, voted to give him a $20,000 pay raise.
* The district's last best offer gave teachers what would be equal to less than 2.5% a year.
Isn't it time to compensate the teachers? It's time to show respect not just lip service to those who are on the front lines of education. Mr. Hanson, put your money where your mouth is.
Archive by category ''Letters to the Editor
Much has been discussed concerning the California water drought. The March 5 letter by Maguerite McMenamin, however, says it all. Don't most of us realize as long as big business and government are in control, the little people are always the first to conserve and be made to feel guilty for not ...
I wonder if the public, and especially the parents of Fresno Unified School District students, are aware that FUSD Superintendent Michael Hanson is single-handedly dismantling two effective and successful alternative education high school campuses. These two schools, J.E. Young Academic Center and...
Surely our inability to marshal financial support for Children's Hospital Central California without endangering people in our major intersections betrays our collective failure of goodwill and imagination. Should anyone need the excuse of a newspaper to give money for a worthy cause? And must we...
Fresno Mayor Ashley Swearengin wants Fresnans to stop giving money to individual homeless and give them a 2-1-1 card instead. The Fresno City Council was meeting -- as I wrote this letter -- to debate rules about neighborhood recycling centers -- maybe even ban them. Homeless folks -- and others...
The problem with Fresno's Fulton Mall project is if there are more cars and folks enjoying downtown at night, then there will be an increase in air pollution. The draft Environmental Impact Report failed to mention this fact. This would have been a prime opportunity to address this directly and ...
I have someone I need to thank. On March 2, I left my wallet at a local restaurant. Not realizing until that evening what I had done, my heart sunk thinking of the possible consequences involved in losing a wallet. I went to the restaurant the next morning but it had not been turned in. Total despair...
In response to the March 5 story, "Poll: 59% in U.S. now support gay marriage," I know that is completely not true because statistics show that 85% of this country are Christian. If 85% are Christians, then they are guided by the Bible. If they are guided by the Bible, then they love the soul, but...
New York Times columnist Tom Friedman has fooled me for the last time. For two-thirds of his March 7 column, he carefully crafts a quite accurate assessment of who Vladimir Putin really is. He then blows his whole argument by exposing who Tom Friedman really is.