A way to offset border costs

The Fresno BeeJuly 9, 2014 

A major concern with permitting illegals, who are flooding across southern borders, is that their admittance to our country will put additional financial stress on our already strained economy. President Obama has asked Congress for $3.7 billion to address the problem -- an amount that likely is a pittance of what will be drained from the treasury.

Federal programs that are available to these aliens include: Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) formerly known as AFDC, Medicaid, Food Stamps, Public Housing, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance, Administration on Developmental Disabilities (ADD) (direct services only), Child Care and Development Fund, Independent Living Program, Job Opportunities Low Income Individuals (JOLI), Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP), Postsecondary Education Loans and Grants, Refugee Assistance Programs, Title IV Foster Care and Adoption Assistance Payments (if parents are qualified immigrants -- refugees, etc.) and Title XX Social Services Block Grant Funds.

To offset this expense why not deduct the federal assistance stipend for each individual from the foreign aid that we are paying annually to their respective countries? Those countries are no longer having to care for these individuals, so why should we continue to pay twice for their economic and development assistance?

Carl Pederson


The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service