Fireworks sparks fire destroying northwest Fresno backyard shed

The Fresno BeeJuly 8, 2014 

Fire destroyed a backyard storage unit Tuesday night at a northwest Fresno home, city fire officials said.
A homemade shed full of personal items was reduced to ruins as a result of fireworks, said Randy Reitz, acting battalion chief for the Fresno Fire Department. The fire started around 10 p.m. in the 7100 block of North San Pablo Avenue near the Pinedale Branch Library.
Four teenagers complained of fireworks in the vicinity, which eventually started the fire, said Reitz.
Reitz estimated a minimal amount of monetary damage as a result of the fire. He said that many neighbors were concerned because the houses are close together and there was the potential for the fire to quickly spread. A nearby power line also posed a threat to firefighters working to extinguish the fire.
No injuries were reported and no nearby homes were damaged.

The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6659 or

The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service