Trash bin fire in southeast Fresno spreads to apartment attic

The Fresno BeeJune 11, 2014 

A fire that started in a large metal trash bin Wednesday night spread to a nearby vacant apartment complex in southeast Fresno and burned the attic, Fresno Fire Department reported.
The fire started about 9 p.m. near Chestnut and Lane avenues. The Fresno Fire Department is investigating how the fire began, battalion chief Casey Clark said.
The two-story apartment complex is vacant and no one was inside, he said. There were no injuries from the fire.
The flames from the blaze were big enough for a second alarm, though, Clark said. Ten engines and two battalion chiefs were on scene.
Clark estimated the damage to be $65,000.
The fire was the second structure fire in three hours, Fresno Fire public information officer John Creasy said. 
"With temperatures still in the 90s, fire crews are truly being taxed today," Creasy said.

 

The reporter can be reached at (559) 441-6679 or bvaccari@fresnobee.com.

The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service