Squatters cause blaze at southeast Fresno house, firefighters say

The Fresno BeeJune 10, 2014 

Squatters are blamed for a fire that damaged a partially restored home Tuesday morning, June 10, in southeast Fresno. Utility workers examine a power box at a home damaged by the fire.


Squatters are blamed for a fire that damaged a partially restored southeast Fresno house Tuesday morning.

The blaze was reported about 8:30 a.m. in the 3100 block of East Platt Avenue. Firefighters located the cause of the fire in a smoldering sofa.

Fresno Fire Department spokesman Koby Johns said the home is frequented by transients and drug users who have subdivided the rooms into smaller living spaces.

Last week, police and utility workers went to the home after someone had illegally bypassed the electricity to steal power, Johns said.

The reporter can be reached at jguy@fresnobee.com or at (559) 441-6339 or on Twitter @jimguy27

The Fresno Bee is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service